Friday, October 17, 2014

Heaven, Hell & Mademoiselle




If you don’t mind a bit of chick lit mixed with a touch of fashion faction (fiction and fact combined), may I recommend to you Heaven, Hell & Mademoiselle?  It follows a small cast of characters set in the world of Parisian haute couture.

Thrillingly, Coco Chanel features prominently.  If you are a fan of Chanel, and a fan of Paris, this is a fun book.  To me it’s a cross of chick lit, chic lit and faux history. 

Set in the late 1960s, Heaven, Hell & Mademoiselle by Harold Carlton follows the lives of a group of young people who have moved to Paris and are starting out.  It also shows Chanel at work.  One of the young women has started work in Chanel’s workroom and one wants to be a designer.

I read it on our summer holiday a few Christmases back, but I remember the descriptions of Paris, the petite apartments they lived in (petite but chicly decorated, on a budget of course), the aloof discipline of one of the main characters, all intertwined with a mystery surrounding one of the girls which somehow linked her to Mademoiselle Chanel.

I read it in about a day and a half because it was so readable and enjoyable.  There were a few sensually sexy love scenes too.  They were so well written and different to other chick lit love scenes.  The book transports you to Paris, and you can imagine you live among the characters. 

Since I have such good memories of this book, I have just reordered it from our library to read again.  It’s been long enough that it will be like a brand new read to me!

Gosh I love a good read, and even more so when it has chic details that I can soak up and take away.

Have you read this book?  Do you have a favourite that is along these lines?  Please let me know so I can add it to my wishlist.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for the 'book review', it sounds like a fun read. I've just requested it from the local library.
    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you say it's worth reading, I'm getting it! Thanks so much for sharing, and have a wonderful weekend. Hugs, Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I hope that our local library has a copy. I live a good book and when it comes with such a high rating I will be sure to enjoy it.
    Thank you for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the book review. This book sounds interesting, I've addedit to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm getting it from my library. Thank you, Fiona!

    Dear Fiona, I know your inner French girl will enjoy this:
    http://www.boredlion.com/lost-parisian-apartment-is-an-unmatched-time-capsule-from-the-40s/?utm_source=ob&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Lost-Parisian-Apartment-Is-An-Unmatched-

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merci for this book recommendation. I loved it! I also reviewed it on my blog. Here's the post: http://italiagal.blogspot.com/2014/11/book-review-heaven-hell-mademoiselle.html

    ReplyDelete

Merci for your comment. Wishing you a chic day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...